Memorial Day Weekend

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

As everyone else spent Memorial Day weekend taking the time to be with our loved one's and eat delicious summer food and maybe relax next to a pool of water, we also took our time to remember the one's who gave their lives for this amazing country we live in. As Veteran's, the hubby and I, we take this very seriously as we both have experienced friends paying the ultimate price for freedom with their lives. It's because of them and the many that have gone before them that we honor this day. An as most did, we few our flag in our yard on Memorial Day but most importantly we decided to fly it everyday over the course of the long weekend, remembering everyday why we were given the privilege to have this long holiday.

Even though I no longer am a member the active duty military, I carry my oath in my heart and live with pride that this is my country and I will defend it no matter what, even if that means my days are now spent caring for my military husband , son, and military family. ;) I will say, there are some mornings I get a little sad that I'm not lacing up my boots and pulling my hair up to go to work with my hubby. And yes, I'm one of those people that will start getting teary eyed as the National Anthem is playing, feeling the love I have for my country course through my veins.

For most of our weekend, we just hung out around the house, something we tend to do a lot on the weekends, just enjoying the time we have with each other.  One day I did get the hubby to go with me to one of my favorite thrift shops to look for bed rails for a new twin spindle bed frame I managed to pick up for $10 in perfect condition, but instead of finding the rails, I found a second bed frame to match the first! Amazing…that like never happens!!

The days were hot this weekend so when Sunday rolled around I couldn't wait to run out to the ice cream truck that comes faithfully every Sunday around 1. I pretty much run as fast as possible when I hear the music to the truck and it's really embarrassing when I'm a little more excited than the kids ;) Firecrackers…every time!!!

     

And Chrispy, he had a blast splashing around in his little pool in the backyard. I usually put swimming trunks on him but he insisted on being naked that day, oh well. Nothing cuter than a baby booty running around the yard. Don't worry, he had sunscreen reapplied about every 5 minutes…I was on him like a hawk! 


Dinner on Memorial Day was a little extra special as we actually ate at the table! I even set it up for just us three :) The menu was complied with brats, baked bean, corn on the cob, cornbread, and for dessert, DONUTS!!! I followed the advice of many on Pinterest and just used an easy premade biscuit and cut them to shape and fried in oil. It was so easy and they were so yummy topped with a cinnamon sugar mix.



 Little fingers couldn't wait to try them out!


Stars in honor of our fallen and their families. When you think of all that have sacrificed themselves for us from the beginning it makes your heart overwhelmed with pride knowing that those men and women were there for you when your country called, making my country full of American Badasses, which is pretty awesome ;)

Happy Memorial Day! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment