And Then There Was Chalk Paint

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Chalk paint!!! It's pretty amazing stuff. I literally can't get over how much I love chalk paint and wish I could use it on all my pieces but it is not meant for every piece you own. I feel like chalk paint is best used for pieces that are going to be distressed or pieces that are harder to paint otherwise, like my cane chairs that I reupholstered and painted, they were perfect for chalk paint since they were in the worst condition and sanding them would have been a real challenge with the cane.

Since I've been making chalk paint for awhile now I thought I would also share how to make it…yes I know, yet another chalk paint recipe. But it was requested and I shall deliver people! :)


I made this just for those who wanted to know but a warning….I am not good in front of a camera (hence why there are no tutorials of me), I really needed a ponytail holder the whole time (couldn't keep my hands out of my hair), and I can not make eye contact (but in person I'm all about eye contact), and for some reason I felt the need to put a high pitch voice when I say water in the beginning (WAAATTTTER)….you were warned!!!




Chalk Paint Recipe:
1 part Plaster of Paris + water = 2 teaspoons Plaster of Paris + 1 teaspoon water (give or take)
1 part paint = 2 teaspoons paint or 1/4 cup paint

Notes:
*should be a the same consistency of pancake batter
*make only a little at a time, if you need more than the amount in the recipe, double it
*even strokes with your brush will give you the most even surface
*paint the grooves and small lines first and than the larger flat surfaces
*add as many coats of chalk paint until your reach your desired coverage, allowing all coats to dry in-between, (I usually do three thin coats)
*seal with furniture wax or a water base sealer

Happy Painting Y'all!!! Would love to see other's projects!! :)


No comments :

Post a Comment