Something Green!!!

Saturday, July 19, 2014

After long and hard thought, I finally decided to paint my TV stand, which is actually an antique Japanese buffet, but the color choices where endless. I really was having a hard time deciding between a classic white wash with distressing that is so popular now or  taking the wild road and finally getting a grand piece of green furniture in my home. After careful consideration from friends and the go-ahead from the hubby, it was time to get this baby painted!


I knew I wanted a similar color to Kelly Green and after going to Home Depot and taking every sample card of green home with me, I finally found the color I'd been hunting, by Behr, Snip of Parsley!!! Yes!!! And it has a cute name ;)

(My mixer man, he waits on me way too much)

I had to complete this stand in sections since I've got a toddler running around, which makes my crafting a little difficult at times. I started with the fronts of the draws by giving all the draws a quick once over with a sandpaper block, cleaned them, and taped the edges. After just one coat I was in love!!! But knew I wanted a really rich color and the wood to make a really awesome peek-a-boo effect, so I waited for the paint to dry and applied two more coats.


The brass hardware got a vinegar and water "bubble bath" in a tiny crock pot I picked up from a family dollar that is awesome for things like cleaning hardware and cheese queso…oh yeah, super yummy (it is cleaned every time with bleach after using it for hardware ;).

After the paint dried completely, I removed the tape and began sanding to distress with 60 grit paper and after I got the desired look I switched to 120 grit to make it as smooth as possible. Cleaned well with a microfiber cloth and applied a thin layer of furniture wax. After 30 minutes of waiting, went back and buffed. Attached hardware and promptly drank a beer for a job well done :).


The next day, or night I should say, I finally was able to tackle the frame as soon as Chrispy went to bed for the night. I painted in all the small lines and grooves with a paint brush first and then the larger areas. After the paint dries, added a second layer with a brush in the grooves and then switched to a small 4 inch roller to make as many smooth and even areas as possible, plus it gets quicker when you go with a roller.
 (Middle of the night "I HATE YOU" screaming through my head!)

At this point I was hitting 10:30 at night and getting hungry from all the "labor" so it was a perfect time to put in a movie, No Reservations, and heat up some roasted chicken and have a glass of wine….paint was drying and all. After a few, and the paint is dry, did one more coat for full coverage. Let it dry again…half the pain of painting furniture is waiting for paint to dry but thankfully chalk paint goes on smoothly and dries quickly.

I spent the next hour of my life distressing this beast with 60 grit sandpaper and going back over it with 120 grit, by hand people!!! It wasn't one of those pieces that I could really use and electric sander since it would have made weird distress marks. By the time I was finished distressing and putting a layer of furniture wax on, I was half a bottle of wine in and it was 1 am! Job well done!!

This morning when it was dried completely the hubby was so happy with the results as am I. I don't have crazy color pieces in my house, in fact, this is the only painted furniture we have in our house, but everything about this screams fun!! Any chalk paint pieces you have been working on? Would love to see them. Hope you feel inspired to go out and finally do something you want ;)


Thanks y'all!!! :)

No comments :

Post a Comment