Hemming Trousers the Easy Way

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

First off, I'm only 5'3 and on the petite side of clothing so when I'm out shopping for any type of pant, I usually come across that annoying problem, you know, your pants are so long you are about to fall over just by trying them on. That is me, and the girl who hems my pants knows me all to well. As I went on a random shopping spree, aka...just picking up some things for the baby at the mall, Zara happened to be having an amazing sale and I came across these beautiful mustard/orangey colored pant just in time for fall! (Was meant to be I tell you!) I didn't even try them on, just knew they would fit and because they only had one pair left and they were in my size! I get home, put on my new loves, and they swallow my feet whole, where did they go?! The pant leg was about 3 1/2 inches too long! So, instead of paying a fortune once again to my seamstress, I decided to hem them myself! I'm not an expert at sewing but I do know my way around a needle and thread and even own a sewing machine. So, this way of hemming is easier and quicker if your like me with a toddler that wants all of your attention all of the time and pulling out the sewing machine while he is awake is just out of the question. So hemming done easy, if your doing this by yourself! Steps: 1. Put on your pants, if you plan to wear heels with them, put them on too. Bend your pant leg up at the hem and fold until you have reached the length you like, that is the length you like while standing up. :) Pin it!
2. Measure the fold and pin around the leg, making sure to do measurements in between pinning as to get the most even fold. 3. Iron!!! Ironing is one of the most important steps in sewing I have figured out through the years. You will want a nice clean line, as it will help in the next step.
4. Turn legs of pant inside out. You will see the nice clean line from ironing. Unpin and unfold. Fold the leg again, but this time, the opposite direction so now the front of your pant is facing you. Fold again on the line that you have ironed and pin.
5. Iron again! This time you will be ironing to get another straight clean line in order to sew probably. Measure again to verify that you will be making an even hem.
6. Match your thread as best you can to the pant color. Mine was between an orange and a little yellow. Went with the orange. Thread your needle.
7. I also start a knot at the inner seam just because I always have, it normally has more material, and the knot can be hidden. Makes for a really good start. Make sense? ;)
8. Do a hemming stitch all the way around your pant leg but be careful not to go all the way through the fabric as you do not want your thread to show on the outside of your pant. Finish with a knot at the end. (You can always youtube or google the hemming stitch for those that are not familiar with sewing)
9. Turn pant back and iron again to make a clean nice finish for your pant.
10. Enjoy them as your are now a normal person, though short, that can wear pants just like everyone else, normally. :)

No comments :

Post a Comment